News:

Forums are back up, but many custom plugins and theming has been lost. If I get the time, I'll try and fix it back up - Kaise123

Other:KCv2 Files are still available for download here -> http://forums.kaise123.com/index.php?topic=4977.0

Main Menu

computer problems

Started by jason87047, January 27, 2014, 05:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason87047

I'm having a wee bit of computer-laptop problems so I'm wondering if I can just try to fix it myself without having to take it in..the problem is when I start my laptop for about 2 seconds it will sound as it is starting normally but then all of a sudden its like it loses power and instead of showing the powering up screen it stays black, and sort of acts like I put the computer to sleep or on hibernation. It's fully charged so I don't think power is the issue unless this is a sign the batteries gone bad?  But anyway that's basically all I know about the problem. I have a hp envy laptop so if anyone thinks they know the issue or maybe even how to fix it I would be grateful :) if not I'll take it in next weekend or something...any questions feel free to ask!

-and on another note I will not be able to go on the server until I get this fixed :/ so I may be inactive for a while.

Kaise123

Are you able to enter the BIOS/UEFI config screen? (It's usually F2 or Delete when you first power it up)

If so, Try booting from something else (Windows install DVD, USB, etc). If you don't know how, let me know. If you can't, It's likely to be something very wrong with hardware. Possibly something you can fix yourself but you'd just need to go through a process of elimination.
E-Mail: kaise123@gmail.com
Like KCv2 on Facebook: www.kaise123.com/facebook
Please VOTE for KCv2 here: http://www.kaise123.com/vote

MC Client: www.kaise123.com/mcclient

Web hosting kindly provided by Darkfire

Hij

I had this happen to me, though it wasn't a laptop. My computer would start up, then about after 5 seconds would turn itself off. The problem, in my case at least, happened to be a power button charge (surge?) problem that I had to put in a new power button to fix. Because your problem is a laptop, it might not be my problem, though that's something to be aware about ;)

jason87047

Quote from: Kaise123 on January 27, 2014, 07:48:13 PM
Are you able to enter the BIOS/UEFI config screen? (It's usually F2 or Delete when you first power it up)

No, that does not work..the screen doesnt do anything but stay black. The big problem i think is a little after starting it looses power. So I may try a new power button as Hij said or a new battery unless you have any other ideas.

~on another note i have my very shitty Northwest school laptop I got for being enrolled in dual credit computers so im going to see if it can handle minecraft in the time being haha.

Kaise123

Quote from: jason87047 on January 28, 2014, 10:36:27 AM

No, that does not work..the screen doesnt do anything but stay black. The big problem i think is a little after starting it looses power. So I may try a new power button as Hij said or a new battery unless you have any other ideas.

~on another note i have my very shitty Northwest school laptop I got for being enrolled in dual credit computers so im going to see if it can handle minecraft in the time being haha.

Don't bother with a new battery, If you want to test if it's the battery (Unlikely) just run the laptop without the battery connected, It's not required as long as it's plugged into a charger.

Also, you could try pressing the power button and then disconnecting it. I'm not sure how the power button would cause this, unless it's just a very fluky bad connection.

You could also try a process of elimination, As most parts of a computer could cause an issue like this, Depending on the laptop model, etc. I've seen a failed HDD stop a computer from POSTing before, so try:

- Removing the Hard Drive, Booting without it connected, see if you can get into the BIOS/UEFI
- Often laptops will have multiple DIMM's of RAM. Remove one and try, If it doesn't work, swap over and remove the other one replacing it with the first one.

Otherwise I'm out of ideas. It could of course just be the motherboard itself. If you have a bricked BIOS or it's quite simply failed somewhere, things get a lot more complicated. I'd suggest a blind flash of the BIOS as a last resort if it's even possible on your model.

TheDarkWolf

What Kai said is the ticket. It's probably bad RAM or a hard drive.

jason87047

Quote from: Kaise123 on January 28, 2014, 03:51:19 PM
Quote from: jason87047 on January 28, 2014, 10:36:27 AM

Don't bother with a new battery, If you want to test if it's the battery (Unlikely) just run the laptop without the battery connected, It's not required as long as it's plugged into a charger.

Also, you could try pressing the power button and then disconnecting it. I'm not sure how the power button would cause this, unless it's just a very fluky bad connection.

You could also try a process of elimination, As most parts of a computer could cause an issue like this, Depending on the laptop model, etc. I've seen a failed HDD stop a computer from POSTing before, so try:

- Removing the Hard Drive, Booting without it connected, see if you can get into the BIOS/UEFI
- Often laptops will have multiple DIMM's of RAM. Remove one and try, If it doesn't work, swap over and remove the other one replacing it with the first one.

Otherwise I'm out of ideas. It could of course just be the motherboard itself. If you have a bricked BIOS or it's quite simply failed somewhere, things get a lot more complicated. I'd suggest a blind flash of the BIOS as a last resort if it's even possible on your model.
-Removed the hard drive, still stays black and no other screen pops up so its not that.
-Replaced the ram with the old ram that use to be in the computer before i upgraded it and it didnt work so i dont believe thats the problem either sadly :/
-Also my backlit keyboard no longer turns on i found out, dont know if thats an indication to anything but it doesnt.

-I have no idea how a blind flash of the BIOS works or what that even means so i havent tried that yet.

It looks like im just going to have to take it in then. Hopefully it turns out to be something simple that im overlooking.

Kaise123

What sort of laptop is it? I'll need the specific model. Unless you've already had it looked at? The fact that the backlit keyboard isn't coming up either is a pretty bad sign. While there are a LOT of things it could be, my guess would be a power issue that could have ruined some parts of your motherboard, or again a bricked BIOS. If I have the model I can tell you if you can blind flash it.

Blind flashing is reflashing and resetting the BIOS when you cannot boot your computer or access the BIOS (Normally used when you are someone like me and do something stupid with your BIOS). Generally it involves using a second computer to put a BIOS rom on a USB and then booting your computer with the battery disconnected and sometimes a certain key combination pressed down.

jason87047

Kaise123

Quote from: jason87047 on January 31, 2014, 10:49:26 AM
Its an HP Envy m6-1105dx

I can't find any information on Blind flashing that model, Or even HP Envy's in general. Good luck with getting it fixed, and sorry I can't help