News:

Forums are back up, but many custom plugins and theming has been lost. If I get the time, I'll try and fix it back up - Kaise123

Other:KCv2 Files are still available for download here -> http://forums.kaise123.com/index.php?topic=4977.0

Main Menu

Optifine 1.6

Started by karathorhikari, July 20, 2013, 01:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karathorhikari

Without citing youtube((never works)), can someone please post a detailed tutorial on how to install Optifine to 1.6 here, where it can be tested and, if it doesn't work, discussed.

Kaise123

Right, Here goes.

Firstly, Do you have any other mods installed? Other mods such as forge sometimes require a different installation method, So from here I'm just going to assume you have a clean Minecraft file. Otherwise, Follow the instructions and add your own mods as you go, and just see if it works.

Step 1: Start with a clean Minecraft folder. It's easiest for the purposes of this tutorial if you don't have any extra mods/misc files hanging around. I assume you know how to get to your appdata folder, So just rename/cut/delete your '.minecraft' folder from there so that it's out of the way. Make sure you back up what you need if you delete it.

Step 2: Open the Minecraft launcher. I'm going to assume your using McOpenLauncher or the Official Minecraft launcher from minecraft.net. If using McOpenLauncher (you DO NOT need to worry about this for the standard launcher), Please set the installation directory to C:\Users\<YOURUSERNAMEHERE>\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft making sure to replace the <YOURUSERNAMEHERE> part with your actual username. To set the install folder, Hit the install folder button next to login: http://puu.sh/3IkZq.png. Basically just set the install directory to the standard .minecraft folder.

Step 3: Launch the game as-is to let it download the vanilla Minecraft files. Just put in your username or username/password, And hit play and wait until you are at the main menu for Minecraft. Don't change any options in the launcher unless you really need to/know what your doing. When you are at the main menu, You may now close Minecraft, And the launcher

Step 4: Now open up your .minecraft folder (%appdata%\.minecraft). Inside the .minecraft folder, there should be a folder named '1.6.2' (If your running Minecraft 1.6.2). Make a copy of that folder (Duplicate it in the same folder, whatever you want to call it), then rename it to whatever you want. For the purposes of this tutorial, I'm going to call mine modded. If you don't call yours modded you also need to make sure that you rename other files accordingly. I recommend that you use the name modded ;)

Step 5: Go into your new folder (the copy folder that we made in the last step. Mine's called modded. Now rename the 2 files that are in there (1.6.2.jar and 1.6.2.json for my version) to the same name you called the folder. For me that's modded, so I will rename them both to modded.

As a bit of a recap, We should now have a folder called 'modded' inside 'appdata\roaming\.minecraft\versions' and inside the folder called modded we should have 2 files: modded.jar and modded.json. If you don't understand this or don't quite know how we got to here, thoroughly re-read the instructions until you do.

Step 6: Right click on the modded.json file, And click open with. Select WordPad if its there, otherwise select the default program as WordPad (Note; I say wordpad because everyone has it, however you can use your favorite text editor as long as it doesn't change the format of the document. Notepad++ is the best). Now, in WordPad it looks really confusing but really what you have to do is very simple. Look near the top of the document, You should see something that looks like:
{
  "id": "1.6.2",

You need to change the part where it says 1.6.2 to 'modded' (Or whatever you called the files and folder, if you didn't call them modded). It should now look like this: http://puu.sh/3IlVj.png at the top. The ONLY thing you change is that ONE WORD. Do NOT touch anything else in this json file. You may now SAVE and close the file.

Step 7: Now re-open the Minecraft launcher - McOpenLauncher or whatever you use. Find the 'New Profile' button in the top right hand side of the launcher: http://puu.sh/3ImbY.png. Click it. Now, Enter 'Modded' as the profile name (Or something else... I don't think it has to be the same as the rest of the files, however it's best to keep it all the same so it's easier to understand). Then, Where it says 'use version', set it to 'release modded' (Or, Again, whatever you called your files and put in the json). The profile editor should look like this: http://puu.sh/3Imqy.png

Note: ONLY IF your using Forge/FML, Add the following arguments to 'JVM arguments': -Dfml.ignoreInvalidMinecraftCertificates -Dfml.ignorePatchDiscrepancies so that it looks like this: http://puu.sh/3Imxm.png (Yes, You leave the '-xmx 1G, And you put a space between it and the 2 new arguments). For reference, This makes it so that you can add things to the Jar file without forge crashing/blocking the game from launching.

Step 8: Now select modded from the top right, in the profile drop-down menu. Enter your username at the bottom right. It should look like this: http://puu.sh/3ImF6.png. Now hit the Play button. It should launch to the Main Menu (Be patient... It took about 30 seconds for me on first launch). Now close the game again.

Step 9: Now you are ready to add the mod(s). As you were looking to install OptiFine, I'm going to use that as an example, However this will work for any mods that are supposed to be installed into the Jar file (Mods that come packaged as a .jar file should NOT be installed this way). Firstly, Navigate to your Modded installation directory appdata\Roaming\.minecraft\versions\modded. Now, Open modded.jar with WinRar (You can get it for free from http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar50b7.exe). Now remove the 'Meta-Inf' folder. Now get your mod (OptiFine from: http://adf.ly/404181/optifined.net/adloadx.php?f=OptiFine_1.6.2_HD_U_B4.zip) and open it (Also with WinRar). Now, Select all the files in the OptiFine rar, And drag them into your modded.jar file. Now close both of them.

Step 10: It should now work. Launch Minecraft, Making sure that the modded profile is selected. The game should load up with OptiFine installed, If you follow the instructions carefully.

Sorry for the length of the post, But you did ask for detail :P
E-Mail: kaise123@gmail.com
Like KCv2 on Facebook: www.kaise123.com/facebook
Please VOTE for KCv2 here: http://www.kaise123.com/vote

MC Client: www.kaise123.com/mcclient

Web hosting kindly provided by Darkfire

karathorhikari

Alright. I do appreciate the detail and time you put into this. However, I'm having the same exact problem I had with the youtube tutorial. I can not get "release modded" to show up under versions. I followed every single step up to that point every time, and it never works.

Kaise123

Lots of people seem to have this issue. Can you confirm that you are COMPLETELY sure that you renamed 3 files to the exact same name (modded)  and that you modified your 'modded.json', changing the '1.6.2' section to 'modded'? This is the most important step in getting it to show up. If you are confused about any particular part of it then let me know and I'll try to simplify it for you.

As I was writing the guide I made sure that what I was writing was exactly what you needed to do, and it worked flawlessly for me.

HanSolo

Quote from: karathorhikari on July 22, 2013, 04:31:16 PMAlright. I do appreciate the detail and time you put into this. However, I'm having the same exact problem I had with the youtube tutorial. I can not get "release modded" to show up under versions. I followed every single step up to that point every time, and it never works.

This problem might be caused if you use Windows XP, so if you do install your minecraft in
C:\Documents and Settings\<YOURUSERNAMEHERE>\AppData\.minecraft

Signature by: TriickyzTrix

karathorhikari

Quote from: Kaise123 on July 22, 2013, 07:09:49 AM
Quote from: HanSolo on July 22, 2013, 07:29:55 PM

At last I've figured out where the confusion was. First, I followed Han's advice((thank you Han)) because I am running W-XP. Then I just tried naming the jar and json files modded without adding anything else to the file names and it worked. Somewhere on youtube I had been fed the idea that I should name them modded.jar and modded.json, but obviously this was false information. It was also in your tutorial, Kaise:

"As a bit of a recap, We should now have a folder called 'modded' inside 'appdata\roaming\.minecraft\versions' and inside the folder called modded we should have 2 files: modded.jar and modded.json. If you don't understand this or don't quite know how we got to here, thoroughly re-read the instructions until you do."

That was mildly misleading along with the youtube information. For anyone having this problem, try leaving out the .jar and .json and see if that works. Thank you Kaise, and Han, I'm gonna go enjoy some Optifine.

Kaise123

Quote from: karathorhikari on July 22, 2013, 11:49:32 PM
Quote from: Kaise123 on July 22, 2013, 07:09:49 AM
Quote from: HanSolo on July 22, 2013, 07:29:55 PM

At last I've figured out where the confusion was. First, I followed Han's advice((thank you Han)) because I am running W-XP. Then I just tried naming the jar and json files modded without adding anything else to the file names and it worked. Somewhere on youtube I had been fed the idea that I should name them modded.jar and modded.json, but obviously this was false information. It was also in your tutorial, Kaise:

"As a bit of a recap, We should now have a folder called 'modded' inside 'appdata\roaming\.minecraft\versions' and inside the folder called modded we should have 2 files: modded.jar and modded.json. If you don't understand this or don't quite know how we got to here, thoroughly re-read the instructions until you do."

That was mildly misleading along with the youtube information. For anyone having this problem, try leaving out the .jar and .json and see if that works. Thank you Kaise, and Han, I'm gonna go enjoy some Optifine.

I keep forgetting XP is different... It's been such a long time since I've evern seen a computer running it. Sorry.

As for not renaming the files... Well, You are supposed to so it's strange that it worked without doing so. As has been said in my tutorial and on YouTube, You are certainly supposed to rename the files (As I also said, I followed the tutorial as I wrote it to make sure it all worked). Oh well, It's great that you got it working in the end no matter how strange the circumstances :) Enjoy.

LeonDaMundt

I've followed everything in the instructions and don't get the "modded" release under the version select bar in the launcher. I've tried renaming the .json and .jar and also without renaming, but no avail.

Kaise123

Quote from: LeonMundt (Gunner) on July 23, 2013, 01:46:08 AM
I've followed everything in the instructions and don't get the "modded" release under the version select bar in the launcher. I've tried renaming the .json and .jar and also without renaming, but no avail.

Your completely sure that you are in the right place? Tell me the file paths that you are editing? I'm running Windows 8 Pro as well, But the same procedure should work for Vista-Win8.1. XP should work as well, But with the different file path

Michael5017

I got this, without Kais help but yeah nice guide kai.

karathorhikari

Quote from: Kaise123 on July 23, 2013, 02:01:50 AM

Your completely sure that you are in the right place? Tell me the file paths that you are editing? I'm running Windows 8 Pro as well, But the same procedure should work for Vista-Win8.1. XP should work as well, But with the different file path

C:\Documents and Settings\tim\Application Data\.minecraft

This is the file path I used after wrestling with my computer for about an hour. It's different than what was in the above tutorial which did not seem to work either for my system, and I had to try a few others before finding this one. The trick is to try and follow the original path your computer tries to download it on. For example, the original path it wanted to download Minecraft itself to led directly into the My Documents folder, but I couldn't put it in there because all the other files get mixed up and Optifine still wouldn't work. I still went through kind of a documents-type file path, and then turned down the traditional pre-1.6 path to Application Data. There is no gurantee this will work for anyone else's computer, as mine has a tendancy to be a trollolololol :o, but hopefully this gives you an idea of how to find the right destination folder.

Kaise123

Quote from: karathorhikari on July 24, 2013, 01:22:49 AM
Quote from: Kaise123 on July 23, 2013, 02:01:50 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\tim\Application Data\.minecraft

This is the file path I used after wrestling with my computer for about an hour. It's different than what was in the above tutorial which did not seem to work either for my system, and I had to try a few others before finding this one. The trick is to try and follow the original path your computer tries to download it on. For example, the original path it wanted to download Minecraft itself to led directly into the My Documents folder, but I couldn't put it in there because all the other files get mixed up and Optifine still wouldn't work. I still went through kind of a documents-type file path, and then turned down the traditional pre-1.6 path to Application Data. There is no gurantee this will work for anyone else's computer, as mine has a tendancy to be a trollolololol :o, but hopefully this gives you an idea of how to find the right destination folder.

Yeah, That's the standard path for Windows XP and earlier. The C:\Users\ is Windows Vista and newer. The easiest way to find the appdata folder is to press Windows key+R and type '%appdata%'. It will take you to your appdata folder where Minecraft is installed by default.