News:

Forums are back up, but many custom plugins and theming has been lost. If I get the time, I'll try and fix it back up - Kaise123

Other:KCv2 Files are still available for download here -> http://forums.kaise123.com/index.php?topic=4977.0

Main Menu

Does an older version of MC play on a slow computer?

Started by dawn, September 29, 2013, 04:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawn

Hello and thanks for your reply.

Here is the thing. I do not understand MC at all.
My 8 yr. old loves playing MC.
Actually, I am not sure he knows what to do anyways.
He just enjoys building things and blowing them up.
He has no idea about multiplayer or any of that.
But hey, if it keeps him happy...I am down for that!

My problem...I need him off my computer.

So I got the old computer out and naturally the game is lagging.
The computer is...
pentium 4 processor
2 gb of Ram
Nvidia graphics

Now trust me I have been reading until my eyes bleed.
Is there any hope?
Is there an old version that would be less graphically demanading?
It does not have to be fancy as he is basically running around in a circle
blowing up random towers that he makes.

Ya...I dont g et it?  :o

TheAmazingBobert

Well, you could get a better Graphics card, but there are programs that could download jars for earlier versions of minecraft, but minecraft itself has always been a game that Demands High qaulity specs(dunno why). but I'd suggest trying to go back to the first versions of minecraft because of the lack of items though it may not be quite as enjoyable .-.
"Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick, it will take you far" -Teddy Roosevelt
"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - John F. Kennedy

TheAmazingBobert

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/800346-tool-mcnostalgia-212-with-gui-now-works-with-146/

You could either use this program to down-date the minecraft, OR you could download an old version of Kai's client with optifine(A mod used For FPS and Performance boosts) on it. These are the two best options I can offer :P
"Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick, it will take you far" -Teddy Roosevelt
"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - John F. Kennedy

dawn

I have been trying since I posted and I found a version 1.5.2...only there is no creative mode.
If there is I cant find it.

Again...creative mode so he can walk around and blow things up. Oh Lordy!
Thank you for your reply.
I thought that the graphics card was doing ok...I thought it was more a matter of my processor being old.
This is so confusing!

What about a Beta version? Would that matter?
I have been looking through the different versions and the are so many.
The one that I tried has no creative mode. So I do not know which ones to try.
So I am stuck.

LeonDaMundt

Quote from: dawn on September 29, 2013, 05:52:15 AM
I have been trying since I posted and I found a version 1.5.2...only there is no creative mode.
If there is I cant find it.

Again...creative mode so he can walk around and blow things up. Oh Lordy!
Thank you for your reply.
I thought that the graphics card was doing ok...I thought it was more a matter of my processor being old.
This is so confusing!

What about a Beta version? Would that matter?
I have been looking through the different versions and the are so many.
The one that I tried has no creative mode. So I do not know which ones to try.
So I am stuck.

Use version 1.5.2 before entering the game, go ahead to options, reduce the graphics as in turning the graphics from fancy to the lowest options, making the render distance tiny, and some other tweaks you can see necessary.

dawn

Thank you Leon...

I cant find creative mode.

I do not have an option anywhere
to switch from survival to creative.
I know what it looks like because it works on this version
that is on my computer.

LeonDaMundt

Quote from: dawn on September 29, 2013, 07:30:33 AM
Thank you Leon...

I cant find creative mode.

I do not have an option anywhere
to switch from survival to creative.
I know what it looks like because it works on this version
that is on my computer.

You don't switch from survival to creative, click on single player, then create new world, and click on (I think it's said game mode or something) Change it to creative, the option should be there somewhere :)

Kaise123

Actually, Although it might seem like an older version of the game will be faster, that is not necessarily the case. It is often the opposite infact, While the performance fluctuates between versions, newer versions of the game generally perform a lot better then older versions, as they are optimised better, less bugs, tweaks for performance, etc. There have been several major updates to Minecraft in the past to improve performance, and I can tell you that comparing Minecraft 1.6 to Minecraft 1.0, 1.0 would have lower FPS in almost all situations.

I would reccommend that you download my client from www.kaise123.com/mcclient and then install it without mods (Clean version). Then download Optifine from http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249637-162-optifine-hd-c4-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-af-and-much-more/ and install it. It considerably improves your framerate.

Go into the options and set the display options all down low. Optifine gives a load of new options allowing you to turn off animations, etc. Leave chunk loading at default, and make sure the render distance is below 'Normal', Preferably small or tiny. Turn smooth lighting off. Then, Try with other settings until you find a good set up.

If you want me to go into more detail on settings let me know :)
E-Mail: kaise123@gmail.com
Like KCv2 on Facebook: www.kaise123.com/facebook
Please VOTE for KCv2 here: http://www.kaise123.com/vote

MC Client: www.kaise123.com/mcclient

Web hosting kindly provided by Darkfire

dawn

Thank you.
I will try when the kids are at school this week.

kaise123...I am glad you suggested that because I did see a mention of that on youtube.  :-\
Hopefully it will be easy enough to figure out for me. I will ask if I have any troubles.

I really appreciate the work that you put into your MC's.
It is such a gift too when I can just click a button and there it is.  ;D

ETA: I am going to print off the notes about what to change in the settings.
That pc is in another part of the house and has no internet right now.
If anyone has any other suggestions as for what to change please tell me.
I know it sounds silly to you maybe...but I have no clue what any of those things mean.  :'(

Set

I CAN TELL U!!!!! I had a TERRIBLY SHITTY PC (like 1gb ram aweful graphic card 2.50 ghz ect...) and I was playing mc 1.0.0 back then and it run JUST FINE sry for caps im just excited and I wanna say I love u every one !!!!! <333333333

HanSolo

Quote from: Set on September 30, 2013, 05:30:29 AM
I CAN TELL U!!!!! I had a TERRIBLY SHITTY PC (like 1gb ram aweful graphic card 2.50 ghz ect...) and I was playing mc 1.0.0 back then and it run JUST FINE sry for caps im just excited and I wanna say I love u every one !!!!! <333333333
Please do not refer to that post, my advice would be if you are using win 7 to downgrade to XP and check if your drivers are updated. Just to mention, my PC is even worse and on a flat SinglePlayer world i get around 40FPS on Medium/Far render. So yeah it will work good on that computer. And one final advice, it may sound weird but, try to open the computer and use it to remove all the dust, change thermal paste (If you don't know how, take it to the PC service). Why I am telling you to do that? My PC was full of dust and when it overheats it's performance drops ALOT, and if thermal paste is old your PC may be overheating. That's all from me, I wish you a good luck.

Signature by: TriickyzTrix