• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: My Manjaro experience  (Read 703 times)

Offline David641

• Rep: 23
  • Kar En Tuk Da Kids
    • View Profile
    • ara ara
My Manjaro experience
« on: May 18, 2020, 01:25:07 AM »
Manjaro wasn't the first big distribution that I had tried, like almost every other adventurer we started with Ubuntu the most recommended (at least at the time). To frankly explain my first time, I was amazed, a little alienated but in a good way and was just surprised in how it just worked. Fast-forward after a few hops and hours of research, I've heard a lot about arch, of how it was a really decent yet challenging distro only for veteran and experts. That was then I found out about arch-based distros, Antegros and Manjaro, also some couple others. But I didn't want to spend more time and wanted to settle already with one so I could start installing my necessities. Manjaro, I also picked the most recommended (for beginners) desktop environment which was KDE and it was even more mind-blowing than any other distro I've last been. It truly was (at least for me) a rival of Windows, if not better. At first it was a bit bloated, it was a bit too flashy however just a few clicks and customization was easy I was able to rice it to look easier and even modern in the eyes. That was just the customization, the amount of freedom unlike in windows or even Ubuntu was like no other (at that time). Truly it was worth it, though as a beginner, of course there were prices to pay, like for example my whole vacation. Right from when my windows in my laptop finger-snapped all my old files away which was the most digitally devastating time in my life, well next to losing unlimited internet access. Installing manjaro was also a pain, it wasn't as automatic as Ubuntu or Mint, you really need to dig in on some research. Everyday I reinstall again and again even praying it would finally boot. Until that one faithful day when I finally decided to search my issue in the forums of Manjaro. I was able to find a solution, fast. And Thank God, It worked. And in the end it was worth it.

Its been almost two years now since I've used Manjaro, or just technically a linux OS. This quarantine however, something similar happened again to when I first installed manjaro, but this time the problem was more advance. The installer or installation method I used was even more advance, less automated but with more freedom that I could customize the installation itself to include only a minimal amount of programs and tweaks. T'is was another game changer for me, in my digital life. Windows? Nothing more than an old friend now, although since I'm entering a computer-related course in college chances are we'll meet again for the better or for worse. But linux-chan will always be with me, by my side. I was planning to make my own PORTABLE operating system, installing it on an external drive of which I could simply plug in to anywhere. Drivers might be an issue but since linux uses free-drivers as standard it still might be possible. I'd also make my own separate Ext4 partition though I guess it will be an empty space first and just install Luks encryption on it via linux terminal command line cryptsetup. Such is my goal for now.

To make this thread at least minecraft related in some way. Yes, minecraft is playable even in linux specifically in arch based distributions, well anywhere at least, its Java cross-platforming superiority. I've played minecraft since last year when I found it and was so surprised. Now I could ditch Minetest (even though it wasn't a bad minecraft alternative actually). Right now I'm having complications in reinstalling manjaro again in my laptop so I could play Minecraft once again. I just fixed a 'dreadful' issue today, so I'm close to finish. NetworkManager not working, I thought it was a driver issue or Windows blocking access (yes I dual boot, REFIND BOOTLOADER). I never knew it only needed one command... afterwards when I finally fixed the internet problem, I broke the system anyway. Tried to install i3 alongside xfce4 and forgot to remove xfwm and replace it with i3... now no window's popping up but I don't think I need to know why. SO I'm reinstalling manjaro again. For the 6th time.

So anyways, I've finally removed that off me chest. Good day, or good night for me. :)

Kar En Tuk Da Kids
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 02:05:47 AM by David641 »
C++ is good but complicated, Java is less but a bit slow. Python has all the slowness but I guess most efficient (at least for AI development). Lua's my missing crush, diamond in the rough.

Offline David641

• Rep: 23
  • Kar En Tuk Da Kids
    • View Profile
    • ara ara
Re: My Manjaro experience
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 01:55:44 AM »
I don't know if the quality of my english never really developed or is it because I'm hazy typing this at midnight.

I guess I'm just bad. Very nice.
C++ is good but complicated, Java is less but a bit slow. Python has all the slowness but I guess most efficient (at least for AI development). Lua's my missing crush, diamond in the rough.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal